Scholastic Chess Gateway - The latest news about chess people, organizations and websites

Friday, January 26, 2007

GM Nigel Davies' Secret Training Technique

In this archived article from GM Nigel Davies, he instructs us to learn not only from our defeats, but from our wins as well. Davies writes:

"I think that there's often just as much to be learned from our wins as from our losses. We make good and bad moves in all our games, regardless of the result, and it's these that we should be trying to learn from and improve."

Davies also notes the psychological effect of an over-emphasis on one's losses: "The problem with studying losses is that it can erode your self-esteem. After going over every tiny mistake and berating yourself for being such a terrible player, a loss can teach you that you're a loser. And going over lots of losses will magnify the effect, reducing you to a quivering jelly."

As a result, Davies advises players to focus on their best games in order to build a positive self-image, what he calls his "secret training technique."

"When I go through these games," he says, "I learn that I'm a winner and not a miserable loser. I relive every glorious moment, delighting in my handiwork. This makes me feel more confident when I next come to play."

For the entire article, click here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Entertainment blogs Top Blogs Photarium blog directory Blog Directory - photarium RankingBlogs.com :: Defining Your Blogs Worth: TopSites: